Sunday, September 19, 2010

Crossing the Prime Meridian

Crossing the Prime Meridian

This morning on my first watch of the day, we crossed into the Western Hemisphere. It was about 10:06 A.M., and I had just come on watch from ten to eleven. Dad popped his head up and asked me to look at our longitude on the GPS. I looked, and immediately noticed that it read only 0.1 minutes east. We were heading west, and so we were only one tenth of a nautical mile from the Prime Meridian. This would only take us a minute to traverse, and I started reading off the numbers as it got closer and closer to zero. Then, it flicked through the last digits and the little E turned to a W, and we had sailed across the Prime Meridian. Now we are getting ready for a second night at sea and still on course to Cabo de Gata.
--Orion Date
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment